Wednesday, April 05, 2006

it's not easy being green

I've been following the story of Julie Powell, a fellow blogger who has just won the new Blooker prize for a book based on her blog, "What Could Happen?". Unfortunately, the part of her blog that was published is no longer online (duh, SELL the book not give it away). So I can't figure out what the hype is about. What I see on her site are postings of the most banal type, "Oh dear, I'm a crappy blogger but I've been moving...". So what's all the hype about?

What has me jealous is the fact that the blog was purportedly about her culinary adventures - attempting to master the classic recipes of Julia Child (c. 1960). Great premise. And the whole story has me excited about the possibilities of food writing from a very personal perspective. But still, where's my publisher? What can I do to win such a prize?

hmmpf.
As far as literary matters go, I recommend Mark Kurlansky's Salt to ayone who hasn't read it. I do love his books. I've been giving a lot of thought to my favorite nonfiction works; I never expected to become such a nonfiction fan, but there it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home