Tuesday, October 04, 2005

livin high on the hog

over my morning coffee I was puzzled to see the office building across the way darkened and empty. I checked the time, to make sure I hadn't played one of those tricks on myself where I think it's 8:30 but it's really 6:30. I checked the date, to see if today was indeed a weekday. then I remembered that it's San Petronio day - the patron saint of Bologna's feast day. I don't know why, but it makes me inordinately happy that no one is working on the festa di S. Petronio.

which means trying to accomplish anything today is probably pointless. though we'll see -- I'm so accustomed to Rome, perhaps a little distance from the Vatican gives us a reprieve from the total shutdowns on feast days.

I'm off to see what's going on in the center of town. maybe there are some fun things, special foods or traditions for today. at the very least I can peek into the Basilica di San Petronio.

In other news, Alessandra Mussolini was in town the other day, stumping against electoral reforms that would deprive tiny parties like her neofascists of proportional representation. I saw her on tv, bottle-blond and heavy featured, with a handful of followers. Italian politics are stranger than fiction - last week the Unione party headquarters were occupied by far left protesters in rainbow balaclavas. the met with party leaders and left without incident. contrast with ------- University administration, where I've been threatened with arrest during several demonstrations - none of which involved rainbow balaclavas or camping in offices. but they're just looking out for my best interests.

my back is better. we have gorgeous fall weather here. I have a fatty slice of porchetta in the fridge with an inch-thick border of melty hogfat and the skin still crisp. all's right with the world.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Just the fact that you live in Bologna makes me jealous! Then you mentioned the porchetta.

When I eventually get to Bologna, I'll try to remember San Petronio's day.

October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you try the pumpkin pasta or the pumpkin filling as in tortolini?

October 08, 2005  
Blogger Miss Adventure said...

pumpkin-filled ravioli. so delicious.

October 08, 2005  
Blogger Miss Adventure said...

porchetta-heads? ma dai!

thanks for the positive feedback.

October 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home