Saturday, October 08, 2005

some things that make me happy

1. finding stories about myself on other people's blogs.

2. the blush on grapes and plums - yeast that grows there naturally just being beautiful and waiting to turn them into wine.

3. whole milk yogurt with chestnut honey and pistachios. this could send me into ecstatic fits of dancing and speaking in tongues. there's a good reason "the Land of Milk and Honey" is the classic referrent to plenty, goodness, contentment.

4. talking to the old man slicing porchetta at a display where the whole roast pig has been propped up at the supermarket deli counter. not a piglet or a little yearling piggy, but a hog, crisped about the same color as the ladies coming out of the tanning salons. about the same texture too. hog's ears are perked, snout forward. I'm an unabashed carnivore of the "show me the grisly truth, I'm not afraid of where my food comes from" variety, but this was weirdly closer to taxodermy than food presentation. the point was, being urged to "try it, try it, it's delicious" made my afternoon.

5. sufjan stevens' albums. actually, they tend to make me cry, but I'm very happy that he makes music.

6. bicycles. I rode for the first time - in traffic - sidesaddle on the bar while my friend pedalled yesterday. it's sweet to ride cheek to cheek.

2 Comments:

Blogger Natasha Zielazinski said...

not sure how i found your blog but definitely jealous of pumpkin filled ravioli, plums, etc.

not family or cybernonni but vicariously enjoying your italian life in any case.

October 11, 2005  
Blogger Miss Adventure said...

all are welcome to enjoy vicariously, cybernonni or no. if I can communicate some of the pleasures of being here, I'll have done something I can be proud of.

October 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home